Gevurtz Menashe

PDX 503.227.1515
WA 360.823.0410

Step-Parent & Co-Parent Rights

Guardianship attorneys in Oregon and Washington
In some cases, a court will determine whether a child's best interests are served by continuing contact with a third party. If a non-parent can prove that they have served a substantial enough role in a child's life, visitation or even custody may be awarded. 

Talk to an Attorney

Guardianship attorneys in Oregon and Washington

In Oregon, people other than biological parents can assert rights to visitation with or custody of a minor child. Usually this involves a situation in which someone other than the natural parents has have participated in a significant way in raising the child. This can happen commonly in stepfamilies and in families headed by same-sex couples.

Estate planning for the benefit of a minor child by a non-parent can be complex and should be handled carefully. Our estate planning attorneys can help find a solution that effectively accomplishes your goals.

We can help.

If you have any questions about step-parent and/or co-parent rights in Oregon or Washington, or would like to consult with one of our family law lawyers, we’re happy to help! Please call us in Portland at 503-227-1515, Vancouver at 360-823-0410, or schedule a consultation online.

Call our Portland, OR offices at: 503-227-1515
and our Vancouver, WA office at 360-823-0410
or contact us to request a consultation.